The tartar sauce you buy in the stores is loaded with creepy and downright-unhealthy ingredients: soybean oil, corn syrup, artificial flavors, chemical preservatives, and more. Did you know making your own condiments isn’t actually difficult? Also, when you make your own condiments, it also gives you a chance to sneak in superfoods — like the nutritious bacon fat in this recipe (yep, you read that right! Bacon fat is GOOD for you!!!)
This homemade avocado tartar sauce recipe is really creamy, easy to make, and will last for about one week in the fridge.
Avocado Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup bacon fat (where to buy the best bacon)
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 egg yolks (where to buy organic, soy-free eggs)
- 1 pickle (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (where to buy ACV)
- 1 Tbsp. mustard (where to buy mustard)
- Chop pickle in food processor and place in a small bowl to save for later.
- Add egg yolks, mustard, and apple cider vinegar to food processor and mix well.
- Slowly drip the coconut oil and bacon fat into the processor allowing to thicken.
- Add ripe medium avocado.
- Add lemon juice.
- When finished mix in the chopped pickle in a separate bowl using a spoon.
This tartar sauce goes great with fish and chips.. If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for homemade baconnaise and homemade ketchup.
Want more healthy condiment recipes? In my eBook, The Paleo Survival Guide, you can find dozens of grain-free, dairy-free, paleo recipes — including lots of healthy condiments and sauces.
Latest posts by Sylvie McCracken (see all)
- Treating H. Pylori (Part 3): What H. Pylori Does to the Body - August 8, 2022
- Treating H. Pylori (Part 2): How H. Pylori is Contracted - August 3, 2022
- Understanding Beef Labels: Organic, Pastured, Grass-Fed & Grain-Finished - July 25, 2022